Yeah, Xerox didn't think much of it either, but check your dictionaries.

Please note I never meant to suggest having just one label, two are clearly
needed. I was merely trying to find the optimal end point.

A note to consider: In cases where a definition has become hopeless muddled by
practice or overtaken by better practices (see for example
sea_surface_temperature), the consensus approach has been to define more clear
terms, and ask new users to use one of the more precise/disambiguated terms
whenever possible, thus marginalizing the original confusing term.

The absence of an existing standard_name to describe what is acknowledged as a
large body of existing data makes me believe that possibility is worth
evaluating.

I promise that's the last I'll say about that.

John

P.S. Except this refinement to your comments: We change definitions all the
time in CF, so the bar for that is clearly not high.  But when we invert the
meaning, it is of course a little more indelicate. :->