On Mar 28, 2013, at 22:23, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal <chris.bar...@noaa.gov>
wrote:

> If it's not going to be used as the time coordinate, then we don't need a
> standard_name or unit for it, as you don't need libraries to be able to
> universally auto-detect it and be able to compute with it.

Perhaps true in your set of requirements, but not in mine. I want the entire
data file to be computable (as much as possible), because the systems I want to
build -- and allow others to build -- will not scale otherwise.

It may seem odd to make netCDF with CF the base of a computable architecture,
given the original motivation for standard names was more narrow (as I am
slowly learning). But netCDF/CF is such a strong start toward more complete
interoperability, and netCDF is used as the basis of data storage so often in
this community, that I keep trying to pull it in that direction (of more
complete and computable interoperability).  Perhaps it is a bridge too far, and
another path is warranted.

John

John Graybeal
Marine Metadata Interoperability Project: http://marinemetadata.org