Alison, sorry for the delay, This proposal is great, though I suggest
wordsmithing the added explanation to be more generic (models as well as
observations).

"In the oceans carbon production is often found for multiple depths in a given
horizontal location, giving a production per unit volume. The quantity can then
be integrated…"

Hopefully this is minor enough to not arouse any concerns....

john

John Graybeal
Sr. Data Manager, Metadata & Semantics

M +1 408 675-5445