All,

Yes, that statement seems quite definitive and unambiguous, and for the reasons stated in other emails, I support retaining it.

regards,
Karl

On 1/15/14 9:37 AM, Steve Hankin wrote:

On 1/15/2014 9:24 AM, Jim Biard wrote:
Chris,

The point is, the Conventions themselves state that there is *no standard*. People are all the time trying to add meaning to variable names, but the standard actually states that the meaning is to reside in the attributes. The variable names are just keys for differentiating the variables. (I could name all my variables "vNNNNNNNNNN", where N is a digit, and I would be completely valid according to the standard.) The long_name and standard_name attributes are the places where descriptors of the variable content are to be found.

So I'm raising a question. _ Is there actually anything other than sentiment (i.e., an actual rule) that anyone can point to that prevents someone from using "new" characters in their variable names?_

How about the lines from the CF document that you cut-pasted (thank you):

    /Variable, dimension and attribute names should begin with a
    letter and be composed of letters, digits, and underscores. Note
    that this is in conformance with the COARDS conventions, but is
    more restrictive than the netCDF interface which allows use of the
    hyphen character. The netCDF interface also allows leading
    underscores in names, but the NUG states that this is reserved for
    system use./

    - Steve

Grace and peace,

Jim