The term "cloud radiative center height/temperature/air pressure" is used
in addition to "effective cloud height/temperature/air pressure"   The
verbiage "effective" is used in our group and in other groups as well
(see:
http://scrippsscholars.ucsd.edu/aevan/content/global-changes-effective-clou
d-height), but then my NCDC contacts asked what "effective" means.  So we
thought the "cloud radiative center" terminology was more descriptive, but
not as widely used as "effective".

Yes Jim, I mean height above ground level

The bottom line is that I need some name to describe the fact that our
retrievals correspond to a height within the cloud, not at cloud top.  Our
type of retrieval is not unique.  Just about every satellite-based cloud
property retrieval algorithm derives its information at this "effective"
level.  So, naming suggestions are welcomed.

Kris

Kristopher Bedka
Senior Research Scientist
Science Systems & Applications, Inc. @ NASA Langley Research Center