We are detecting cloudy and clear sky pixels using a combination passive
infrared and visible satellite imagery.  The community typically calls this
product a "cloud mask", i.e. byte value 0=clear sky pixel, 1=cloudy pixel.  I
am reviewing the CF Standard Name table and I see no name that would correspond
to this type of product.  I see the name "cloud_area_fraction", but the concept
of "fraction" would imply that one considers several pixels in a region and
computes the ratio of cloudy pixels relative to the total number of pixels in
the region.   This is not being done with our processing.  I'd recommend
something like "cloudy_satellite_pixel_detection", but am open to other
suggestions

Kris

Kristopher Bedka
Senior Research Scientist