Dear Dan

The surface type can be described by using a coordinate or scalar coordinate
variable with a standard_name of area_type. You may need to request new
area types. This is a controlled CF vocabulary, like the standard names.
I can only find the area type table in XML on the new CF website. It used
to be in HTML as well. It is at
http://cf-convention.github.io/Data/cf-standard-names/27/src/area-type-table.xml

Best wishes

Jonathan