Dear Ben

Your arguments are reasonable and I have no answer except to say that there
are many possible choices, and we are following a compromise that has
apparently worked well for a number of years. It has been suggested before
that CF itself should be more prescriptive about what quantities are allowed
in CF datasets, I think, but that hasn't been a popular idea. Instead, we
have agreed names for quantities people want to describe with CF. Just as
netCDF is a general framework within which CF is a convention used for
certain purposes, more specific purposes (such as CMIP) develop their own
conventions to impose further constraints on how CF is used in their dataset.

Best wishes

Jonathan

----- Forwarded message from Ben Hetland <ben.a.hetl...@sintef.no> -----

> From: Ben Hetland <ben.a.hetl...@sintef.no>
> To: "cf-metadata@cgd.ucar.edu" <cf-metadata@cgd.ucar.edu>
> Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 19:15:27 +0000
> Subject: Re: [CF-metadata] downward_air_velocity
>
> Dear Richard and others,
>
> > If we tried to be prescriptive, it might either (a) prevent
> > people from using CF, or (b) using it incorrectly, because it
> > didn't quite fit their needs, but they didn't want to change
> > how they did things.
>
> or (c) using it incorrectly because they didn't quite understand
> all the requirements to be compliant with the standard.
>
> Those are all fair arguments, indeed, and valid concerns. I observe that
> there is nevertheless a delicate balance to decide on which side of the
> "acceptance threshold" each such requested feature falls. For instance I
> noticed that you just "rejected" the idea of introducing an attribute for
> positive direction, due to concerns matching (b) or possibly (c). Good!
> However, my view is that multiple names for the same kind of data just falls
> into the very same category. As the names serve a certain semantic purpose
> within CF, defining several identifiers for the same opens up for another set
> of potential problems. What if some person at some point interprets this to
> mean that they should write _both_ variants, for instance? How should the
> reader interpret that situation, and would it imply that they should bother
> to actually check that the two sets are consistent? Or what about some reader
> software being (stupidly) hardcoded to look for "downward_foo", but the data
> provider deci
 de