Dear Markus,

Thank you for getting back to me about your proposals and sorry for the delay
in responding. The full summary of all your proposals and their current status
can be viewed in the standard names editor at
http://cfeditor.ceda.ac.uk/proposals/1?status=active&namefilter=&proposerfilter=Markus&descfilter=&unitfilter=&yearfilter=&filter+and+display=Filter.
 (Accepted names have amber title bars, names under discussion have
greeny/brown title bars).

We are now agreed on dropping "surface", adding "particles" and also on the use
of "backwards_scattering" rather than "spherical_backscattering". This has led
to proposal (2) being dropped because the removal of "surface" from the term
made it identical to proposal (1). This also allows the following proposals to
be accepted for publication in the standard name table, (in addition to those
that were accepted previously):
(5)
volume_backwards_scattering_coefficient_in_air_due_to_dried_aerosol_particles
(m-1)
(15) surface_particle_number_concentration_at_stp_in_aerosol (m-3)

I have adjusted the definition text for  "dried aerosol" to remove any
reference to "sizing", as requested. The "dried_aerosol" definition now reads:
" "Dried_aerosol" means that the aerosol sample has been dried from the ambient
state, but that the dry state (RH < 40%) has not necessarily been reached. To
specify the relative humidity at which the sample was measured, provide a
scalar coordinate variable with the standard name of "relative_humidity". "
This has been used in all cases where the phrase appears in the name.

However, I still have a question regarding sizing in "pm" name definitions as
exemplified by my comments on proposal (6) below.

6.
volume_scattering_coefficient_at_stp_in_air_due_to_pm1_dried_aerosol_particles
(m-1)

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused now about the coordinate variables in the
definition. Currently it reads:

"The volume scattering/absorption/attenuation coefficient is the fractional
change of radiative flux per unit path length due to the stated process.
Coefficients with canonical units of m2 s-1 i.e. multiplied by density have
standard names with "specific_" instead of "volume_". The
scattering/absorption/attenuation coefficient is assumed to be an integral over
all wavelengths unless a coordinate of "radiation_wavelength" or
"radiation_frequency" is included to specify the wavelength. "Aerosol" means
the system of suspended liquid or solid particles in air (except cloud
droplets) and their carrier gas, the air itself. "Dried_aerosol" means that the
aerosol sample has been dried from the ambient state, but that the dry state
(RH < 40%) has not necessarily been reached. To specify the relative humidity
at which the sample was measured, provide a scalar coordinate variable with the
standard name of "relative_humidity". "pm1" refers to the fraction of aerosol
particles with an aer
 odynamic diameter of less than or equal to 1 micrometer, where the size cut is
applied under ambient conditions before aerosol humidity, pressure, or
temperature are possibly altered. To specify the relative humidity at which the
sample was sized, provide a scalar coordinate variable with the standard name
of "relative_humidity_for_aerosol_particle_size_selection". The specification
of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity
named is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general
quantity named by omitting the phrase. "at_stp" refers to a volume at standard
conditions of temperature (273.15 K) and pressure (1013.25 hPa)."

In your last message you replied to this by saying:

In your comment on proposal (3) you also wrote:
> MF: In defining "dried aerosol", the definition text refers to "sizing". The
> measurement of the scattering coefficient, unless referring to PM10 or PM1,
> doesn't involve sizing.

In this case the sample is being sized, so surely we do need to refer to it in
the definition? If I've understood the order of events correctly, ambient
aerosol is first sampled by sizing it (hence pm1) and the coordinate variable
for that process is relative_humidity_for_aerosol_particle_size_selection. (It
could also be described as "ambient relative humidity" but that's not what has
been proposed). The sized sample is then dried to some humidity which is
greater than 40% but less than ambient, given by the relative_humidity
coordinate variable, at which point the scattering coefficient is measured. Is
that right? If so, I believe the current definition is correct, isn't it? If I
have got this muddled, please could you write out in full what the definition
should be?

The same question also applies to your comments on proposals 7, 8, 9, 10, 11,
12 , 13, 14,
where again you have said:
> MF: Agreement to use "particles" and drop "surface", but please also drop
> the
> sentence:
>
>To specify the relative humidity at which the sample was sized, provide
> scalar coordinate variable with the standard name of
> "relative_humidity_for_aerosol_particle_size_selection".

If we can clarify this point, then I think that proposals 6 - 14 could be
accepted immediately.

16. Thank you for the additional explanation of the size distribution names - I
hadn't fully understood how these properties are calculated. Of your two
proposed solutions, I think the first is most elegant:

log10_size_interval_based_number_size_distribution_of_dried_aerosol_particles_at_stp_in_air
 (m-3)

"The particle number size distribution is the number concentration of aerosol
particles, normalised to the decadal logarithmic size interval the
concentration applies to, as a function of particle diameter. Depending on the
measurement method, one coordinate variable such as
"electrical_mobility_particle_diameter", "optical_particle diameter", or
"aerodynamic_particle_diameter" should be specified to indicate that the
property applies at specific particle sizes and how the size was obtained.
"log10_X" means common logarithm (i.e. base 10) of X. "Aerosol" means the
system of suspended liquid or solid particles in air (except cloud droplets)
and their carrier gas, the air itself. "Dried_aerosol" means that the aerosol
sample has been dried from the ambient state, but that the dry state (RH < 40%)
has not necessarily been reached. To specify the relative humidity at which the
property applies, provide a scalar coordinate variable with the standard name
of "relative_humidity". "s
 tp" means standard temperature (0 degC) and pressure (101325 Pa)."

I think it is fine to propose the use of alternative coordinate variables in
this way as we sometimes do with radiation_wavelength and radiation_frequency,
for example. It also means that the standard name itself is more general and
not tied to a specific method of measurement.

You have proposed that this would be accompanied by the addition of two further
coordinate variable standard names, similar to the
electrical_mobility_particle_diameter that has already been accepted. I have
reworded the definitions slightly.

optical_particle_diameter (m)
"The diameter of spherical particles whose presence in a medium would result in
the same refractive index and lead to the same intensity of scattered light as
the particles in question."

aerodynamic_particle_diameter
"The diameter of a spherical particle with density 1000 kg m-3 having the same
aerodynamic properties as the particles in question."

I think it is actually very useful to add the aerodynamic_particle_diameter
name, since we refer to "aerodynamic diameter" in the definition of existing
names, but we have never had any text explaining what that means!

These three names are accepted for inclusion in the standard name table.

17. number_concentration_of_cloud_condensation_nuclei_at_stp_in_air (m-3)

"The cloud condensation nuclei number concentration is the total number of
aerosol particles per unit volume independent of and integrated over particle
size that act as condensation nuclei for liquid-phase clouds. A coordinate
variable with the standard name of relative_humidity should be specified to
indicate that the property refers to a specific supersaturation with respect to
liquid water. A particle's ability to act as a condensation nucleus is
determined by its size, chemical composition, and morphology. "stp" means
standard temperature (0 degC) and pressure (101325 Pa)."

Thank you for the clarification - this looks fine now. This name is accepted
for publication in the standard name table.

18. Again I prefer your first solution and this would also then be consistent
with proposal (16). I have altered the wording of the definition slightly so
that it reads consistently with the definitions of (16) and (17).

log10_size_interval_based_number_size_distribution_of_cloud_condensation_nuclei_at_stp_in_air
 (m-3)

"The cloud condensation nuclei number size distribution is the number
concentration of aerosol particles, normalised to the decadal logarithmic size
interval the concentration applies to, as a function of particle diameter,
where the particle acts as condensation nucleus for liquid-phase clouds. A
coordinate variable with the standard name of relative_humidity should be
specified to indicate that the property refers to a specific supersaturation
with respect to liquid water. A coordinate variable with the standard name of
electrical_mobility_particle_diameter should be specified to indicate that the
property applies at specific mobility particle sizes. To specify the relative
humidity at which the particle sizes were selected, provide a scalar coordinate
variable with the standard name of
relative_humidity_for_aerosol_particle_size_selection. A particle's ability to
act as a condensation nucleus is determined by its size, chemical composition,
and morphology. "log10_X" means
 common logarithm (i.e. base 10) of X. "stp" means standard temperature (0
degC) and pressure (101325 Pa)."

This name is accepted for inclusion in the standard name table.

You mentioned  a number of additional proposals in your last email. I have
added them as follows:

21.
volume_scattering_coefficient_at_stp_in_air_due_to_ambient_aerosol_particles
(m-1)

The name and units are consistent with others we have already agreed. Following
our earlier discussions the definition of this name would be:

"The volume scattering/absorption/attenuation coefficient is the fractional
change of radiative flux per unit path length due to the stated process.
Coefficients with canonical units of m2 s-1, i.e. multiplied by density, have
standard names with "specific_" instead of "volume_". The
scattering/absorption/attenuation coefficient is assumed to be an integral over
all wavelengths unless a coordinate of "radiation_wavelength" or
"radiation_frequency" is included to specify the wavelength. "Aerosol" means
the system of suspended liquid or solid particles in air (except cloud
droplets) and their carrier gas, the air itself. "Ambient_aerosol" means that
the aerosol is measured or modelled at the ambient state of pressure,
temperature and relative humidity that exists in its immediate environment.
"Ambient aerosol particles" are aerosol particles that have taken up ambient
water through hygroscopic growth. The extent of hygroscopic growth depends on
the relative humidity and the com
 position of the particles. To specify the relative humidity at which the
quantity described by the standard name applies, provide a scalar coordinate
variable with the standard name of relative_humidity. The specification of a
physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named
is a single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity
named by omitting the phrase. "stp" means standard temperature (0 degC) and
pressure (101325 Pa)."

Is this OK?

22. volume_scattering_coefficient_at_stp_in_air_due_to_dried_aerosol_particles
[...]

standard name of "relative_humidity". The specification of a physical process
by the phrase "due_
 to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms
which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. "stp"
means standard temperature (0 degC) and pressure (101325 Pa)."

Is this OK?

23. volume_absorption_coefficient_at_stp_in_air_due_to_dried_aerosol_particles
[...]

24.
volume_spherical_backscattering_coefficient_at_stp_in_air_due_to_dried_aerosol_particles
 (m-1)
volume_backwards_scattering_coefficient_at_stp_in_air_due_to_dried_aerosol_particles
 (m-1)

In our earlier discussions we agreed that "spherical_backscattering" should be
replaced by "backwards_scattering" in all cases, which would make these two
names identical. I assume that the intention was actually just to propose the
second one - is that right? We would then have

volume_backwards_scattering_coefficient_at_stp_in_air_due_to_dried_aerosol_particles
 (m-1)

"The volume scattering/absorption/attenuation coefficient is the fractional
change of radiative flux per unit path length due to the stated process.
Coefficients with canonical units of m2 s-1, i.e. multiplied by density, have
standard names with "specific_" instead of "volume_". Backwards scattering
refers to the sum of scattering into all backward angles i.e. scattering_angle
exceeds pi/2 radians. A scattering_angle should not be specified with this
quantity. The scattering/absorption/attenuation coefficient is assumed to be an
integral over all wavelengths unless a coordinate of "radiation_wavelength" or
"radiation_frequency" is included to specify the wavelength. "Aerosol" means
the system of suspended liquid or solid particles in air (except cloud
droplets) and their carrier gas, the air itself. "Dried_aerosol" means that the
aerosol sample has been dried from the ambient state, but that the dry state
(RH < 40%) has not necessarily been reached. To specify the relative h
 umidity at which the sample was measured, provide a scalar coordinate variable
with the standard name of "relative_humidity". The specification of a physical
process by the phrase "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a
single term in a sum of terms which together compose the general quantity named
by omitting the phrase. "stp" means standard temperature (0 degC) and pressure
(101325 Pa)."

Is this OK?

I am planning to publish an update to the standard name table imminently (today
or tomorrow if possible). All the "accepted" names will be included
automatically. I will schedule another update of standard names in January so
that any names agreed after today's update can be included then.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment