Hello Martin,

> If the two end points can be specified with bounds within the existing
> convention, it might be simpler to use that.  Can you explain to me how this
> is done? The only reference to bounds which I could find in the convention
> was in connection with cell boundaries.

I don't think it can be done.  I agree with your analysis, the only reference
to bounds is with regard to cell boundaries.  It think it is sensible to keep
it this way and provide a separate mechanism for your transect use case.  I
think overloading the current bounds mechanism is likely to lead to problems.

> The flow direction does need to be defined .. I suppose that would involve a
> clarification of the standard_name ocean_volume_transport_across_line. As you
> say, this should not be too complicated once we have a definition of the line
> to refer to.

It would be good to consider if this could be defined for the transect, so that
standard_name descriptions can remain unchanged.  I'll think on this some more.

> The approach I was thinking of could easily accommodate multiple points on a
> line, though I don't have a use for it at present. e.g.

excellent.

I'll follow up on this soon
mark