John,

But ancillary variables aren't coordinates, are they?

Jim

On 12/21/15 1:08 PM, John Caron wrote:
i think a crucial property of coordinates is that their dimensions are a subset of the variable's dimensions. otherwise one cant assign the correct coordinate.

the length of a char valued coordinate is an exception, really char(n) is logically the same as string.

while a dim=1 coordinate could be used, it would violate that simple principle for no obvious gain. scalar here is preffered i think.

we added some language to CF recently to clarify this. not sure where it is.

john