The subject of my posting yesterday should have been "ocean absorption of
shortwave energy". Sorry! Here's the same posting again with the right subject.
Jonathan

Dear all

Steve Griffies and I propose a new standard name
  net_rate_of_absorption_of_shortwave_energy_in_ocean_layer
in W m-2. This is analogous to and can have the same definition as the
existing name net_rate_of_absorption_of_shortwave_energy_in_atmosphere_layer.

"shortwave" means shortwave radiation. "Layer" means any layer with upper and
lower boundaries that have constant values in some vertical coordinate. There
must be a vertical coordinate variable indicating the extent of the
layer(s). If the layers are model layers, the vertical coordinate can be
model_level_number, but it is recommended to specify a physical coordinate (in
a scalar or auxiliary coordinate variable) as well. Net absorbed radiation is
the difference between absorbed and emitted radiation.

This name is needed for an OMIP diagnostic for CMIP6.

Cheers

Jonathan