Karl,

I think Sébastien raises some valid questions regarding appropriate standard names and best form for specifying that the coordinate system is a tripolar grid.

The projection_x_coordinate and projection_y_coordinate definitions state " The relationship between the projection coordinates andlatitude <http://mmisw.org/cfsn/#/latitude>andlongitude <http://mmisw.org/cfsn/#/longitude>is described by thegrid_mapping <http://mmisw.org/cfsn/#/search/grid_mapping>." If you can't specify a grid_mapping, then these standard names don't really apply, do they? And perhaps, if there's no way to construct a CRS for a tripolar grid, these standard names shouldn't be used.

I agree that you can specify all the parts (2D lat and lon grids, 1D i and j "coordinates") without using a standard name on the 1D coordinate variables and without ever specifying a grid_mapping, and that such an arrangement is CF-compliant. But the connection of the 1D coordinate variables with the lat and lon grids is then left to information provided in comment attributes or non-standard attributes created by the authors. To put this grid on the same footing as, say, a Lambert Conformal Conic CRS, don't you need to have a grid_mapping or some other equivalent standard mechanism?

Grace and peace,

Jim