Dear Roy, Chris et al.

It's possible that it was intentional, but I would tend to think that it is
more like cut-and-paste as Chris says, because in a previous system (and this
name is very old, I think) we generated the help text automatically, including
certain sentences if certain phrases were present in the name. So I would say
that sea_water in standard names is a medium, and we don't require the text
"water in all phases, including frozen i.e. ice and snow" in the definition.
"sea_water" is a phrase used in many standard names, and it doesn't include
sea_ice.

Best wishes

Jonathan