I would not recommend UGRID for non-standard but structured (e.g logically
rectangular) grids. I'm not aware of anyone planning to turn in data on a
completely unstructured grid in CMIP6.

Thanks, and best wishes to everyone for 2018,

Karl Taylor writes:

In CMIP we require that  both missing_value and _FillValue be defined as 1.e20 for requested variables that occupy only a portion of the global grid.  For bounds variables, I'll suggest that when needed, both _FillValue and missing_value also be defined as 1.e20. That way software that relies on either one will work.

My understanding of UGRID is that it provides for a much fuller description of a grid than CF.  For CMIP, I think we can recommend UGRID be used for non-standard grids, but I'm reluctant to require it.  Most grids for most purposes I think can be adequately described with the CF-mandated attributes.  Does anyone disagree?

thanks,
Karl