Dear Andy

Thanks for your posting. You're doing it just right!

Both of your proposals have the form
  sea_surface_height_above_mean_sea_level_due_to_X
and I wonder, do you really mean above MSL in *both* cases? Storm surge is
usually measured wrt the current tidal level - isn't it? Also, it seems to me
that "due to" isn't quite right in this case. To quote from the definitions:

"due_to_process" means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of
terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase.

Most "due_to" names go with things which are processes that change the state,
or they are rates of change. SSH is a state, I would say. For example, my mass
*itself* isn't due to my eating too many biscuits, or due to my running a
half-marathon - it's an aspect of my state. It's the *changes* in my mass which
are due to those separate things, that can be added up.

I wonder whether, at least in the case of storm surge, you mean the difference
between SSH with and without the storm surge. Although "sea surface elevation"
is often used as a synonym for SSH, maybe we could make use of it in the sense
of "how much *higher* the sea surface is" due to the storm surge, which is the
concept sometimes called "setup", but that's jargon, and I wouldn't advocate it
for a CF standard name. Would
  sea_surface_elevation_due_to_storm_surge
be OK, I wonder? That quantity isn't wrt MSL or geoid or any other fixed
surface; it's the difference between two values of SSH. Another possibility is
  change_in_sea_surface_height_due_to_storm_surge
which could be better because it's more explicit, but I'm not sure it's quite
right, because it sounds like watching the SSH going up over a certain time
interval, rather than comparing two situations with and without surge. Is this
what you mean?

For the tide, do you definitely mean the current tidal elevation wrt MSL?

I hope I haven't missed the point.

Best wishes

Jonathan

----- Forwarded message from "Saulter, Andrew"