Ros,

I second that.

Jim

On 7/20/18 9:13 AM, David Hassell wrote:
Hello Ros,

Thanks for describing this defect, and I support your fix.

All the best,

David

On 19 July 2018 at 14:37, Rosalyn Hatcher <r.s.hatc...@reading.ac.uk <mailto:r.s.hatc...@reading.ac.uk>> wrote:

    Hi All,

    I've noticed some ambiguity in the CF document around the use of
    the "cf_role" attribute which I think needs clarification.

    In Appendix A it states that the *cf_role* attribute is valid for
    use on a coordinate variable only, however, in virtually, if not
    all, the examples in Appendix H cf_role is not attached to a
    coordinate variable.
    E.g. H.2

    dimensions:
          station = 10 ;  // measurement locations
          time = UNLIMITED ;
        variables:
          float humidity(station,time) ;
            humidity:standard_name = "specific humidity" ;
            humidity:coordinates = "lat lon alt" ;
          double time(time) ;
            time:standard_name = "time";
            time:long_name = "time of measurement" ;
            time:units = "days since 1970-01-01 00:00:00" ;
          float lon(station) ;
            lon:standard_name = "longitude";
            lon:long_name = "station longitude";
            lon:units = "degrees_east";
          float lat(station) ;
            lat:standard_name = "latitude";
            lat:long_name = "station latitude" ;
            lat:units = "degrees_north" ;
          float alt(station) ;
            alt:long_name = "vertical distance above the surface" ;
            alt:standard_name = "height" ;
            alt:units = "m";
            alt:positive = "up";
            alt:axis = "Z";
          char station_name(station, name_strlen) ;
            station_name:long_name = "station name" ;
            station_name:cf_role = "timeseries_id";
        attributes:
            :featureType = "timeSeries";

    I think the cf_role variable "station_name" should be named by the
    coordinates attribute for humidity.

    Moreover, section 9.5 in the conventions document, 2nd paragraph,
    it should say "Where feasible a coordinate or auxiliary coordinate
    variable with the attribute cf_role should be included."

    Assuming there are no objections I'll raise a defect ticket when
    Trac is back.

    Regards,
    Ros.

David Hassell
National Centre for Atmospheric Science
Department of Meteorology, University of Reading,
Earley Gate, PO Box 243, Reading RG6 6BB
Tel: +44 118 3785183
http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/

CICS-NC <http://www.cicsnc.org/> Visit us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc>         *Jim Biard*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>
/formerly NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center/
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbi...@cicsnc.org <mailto:jbi...@cicsnc.org>
o: +1 828 271 4900

/Connect with us on Facebook for climate <https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and ocean and geophysics <https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIoceangeo> information, and follow us on Twitter at @NOAANCEIclimate <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and @NOAANCEIocngeo <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIocngeo>. /