Dear Dan and Martin,

Thank you, Dan, for proposing this new name and to Martin for commenting.

I agree that this quantity is a useful addition to standard names. The name,
definition and units follow closely the pattern of the existing name
number_of_observations and will complement the information stored in variables
of that name. The following name is accepted for publication in the standard
name table and will be added in the June update.

Standard name: number_of_missing_observations (Canonical units: 1)
'A variable with the standard name of number_of_missing_observations contains
the number of discrete observations or measurements that were not available to
derive the values of another data variable. The linkage between the data
variable and the variable with a standard_name of
number_of_missing_observations is achieved using the ancillary_variables
attribute.'

Best wishes,
Alison

Alison Pamment                                                         Tel: +44
1235 778065
NCAS/Centre for Environmental Data Analysis    Email: alison.pamm...@stfc.ac.uk
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
R25, 2.22