Dear Tom

That's interesting. I did not know or had forgotten about that Unidata
recommendation. CF doesn't allow string-valued coordinate variables (with
the same name as any of their dimensions), only string-valued auxiliary
coordinate variables.

Best wishes

Jonathan

----- Forwarded message from Tom Evans <tom.ev...@niwa.co.nz> -----