The background of my question is that the IOOS Compliance Checker [1,2] identifies 2D or 3D grids as individual feature types (lines 7001 to 1708 in [3]) and throws an error. Although I find it reasonable to forbid the combination of regularly gridded and e.g. trajectory data in one file, I would not interprete the CF Conventions in this sense.

[1] https://compliance.ioos.us/index.html
[2] https://github.com/ioos/compliance-checker
[3] https://github.com/ioos/compliance-checker/blob/master/compliance_checker/cfutil.py