The post method should work independent of the extension.  It could be you
are using the tag incorrectly, or your requested page is not set up
correctly.

CFHTTP only returns the 'HTML' content of a page.  It doesn't do anything
with the images referred to on the page, it's not a HTML Parser.  You'll
notice that I said it returns the 'HTML' content of the page, that's not
necessarily always true.  The request is simply a file on the server, it
doesn't have to be a HTML document, it could be anything, like a WDDX
packet.  If you have access to a unix terminal you should play a little with
the HTTP protocol, login to a unix terminal and type:
telnet www.site.com 80
GET /index.html HTTP/1.1 <enter>
<enter>

You can read all about HTTP/1.1 in it's RFC
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2616.txt

Pete Freitag
CFDEV.COM
Cold Fusion Developer Resources