Yes, it's very possible with style sheets.  On one of my current projects,
All of my text fields have white backgrounds with the field labels located
inside the top right corner of the text boxes themselves.  When the box gets
focus, the border turns blue and the label "hides" so that it doesn't
interfere with typing.  Some people may not like it, but it sure does save
space :)

You might try something like this for fields that are not editable:

<!--- Define a 'class' that contains all of the properties you want your
text box to have --->
.clsTextBox { background-color: black; color: white; }

<!--- put class=nameOfYourClass in every input that you want to have those
properties --->
<input name="txtbox" type="text" class=clsTextBox>

This would give you a black text box with white text, etc.

Note:  Unfortunately, Netscape and IE don't always handle styles the same
way .. figures.

Otherwise style sheets are your friend.

Todd Ashworth