> I hope you get everything worked out, but this is one of the
> most seriously f**ked up things I have ever heard of. If
> anyone ever hears of me wasting time on any such tasks, please
> shoot me.  All he's doing right now is the same thing you are...
> Trying to get his friend to help him hack your system. Total
> waste of time for all parties involved. Hacking a system to
> make it better is one thing, that is not what this represents.
>
> Seriously Nick, sounds like you need a new employer.  Come
> out to Atlanta where the CF jobs are plentiful. I'll hook you up....

I've got to say, I agree with Cameron. Your boss's daughter's boyfriend
isn't a security professional, and if your boss is naive enough to go along
with this, you need a new boss. To illustrate the ludicrous nature of this
whole thing, do you think that if you approached your boss, and offered, in
exchange for $2000, to test whether his car could be stolen, he would go for
that?

In addition, you're not a security professional, and if that's what your
boss is looking for, he should hire one. You're a CF developer, for crying
out loud. All that the boyfriend would probably need to do is send an email
virus to your boss, (who sounds like the kind of guy who would see an email
attachment like HAPPY99.EXE and think, "Cool - let's check this out!") and
get his password.

Now, I'd be the first to tell you that you should know as much about
application server security as you can, but this is ridiculous. If you're a
qualified, experienced CF developer, tell your boss where to put his
t-shirts and hit the road.

If you're interested in learning basic hacking stuff, there's a decent book
out, "Hacking Exposed", by two guys who run a course on the subject for
Ernst & Young. It's fun stuff, but it doesn't take you too far beyond the
basics.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496