HomeSite is the best and most popular development tool around *but* is
extremely vulnerable to the fact that developers can no longer afford to
*not* also use a layout-page-code generator in conjunction with HomeSite or
***as a total replacement*** to be 100% productive.

It seems Macromedia has not been as asleep at the wheel and I wonder what
the near future will bring...Consider this announcement from Macromedia...

Macromedia announces code name UltraDev at Internet World today.

What is UltraDev?
Designed specifically for application development, UltraDev is a brand
new product based on the Dreamweaver core architecture. UltraDev is
the first solution to support ASP, JSP and CFML within a single design
environment.

Once UltraDev ships it will allow you to:

1. Create professional web applications
UltraDev provides everything you need to build, manage, and deploy
dynamic, database-driven Web applications.

2. Maintain total control over code
UltraDev is the only product with visual and source editing for total
control over source code.

3. Connect easily to databases
Quickly connect existing, static web pages to any ODBC, JDBC, or ADO
database including Oracle, Sybase, Informix, Microsoft SQL Server and
Microsoft Access.

4. View server-side data in the workspace
Save time and avoid repetitive tasks by viewing, testing, and editing
live data returned from the application server in your workspace.

5. Build for industry-standard servers
UltraDev is the only solution that lets you build ASP, JSP, and Cold
Fusion sites in one single design environment. Build sites for robust
industry servers like Microsoft IIS, Allaire Cold Fusion, IBM
Websphere, BEA WebLogic, and Netscape Enterprise Server.

6. Create robust enterprise-ready Web applications
Through extensibility, UltraDev integrates with other leading servers,
Web applications and e-commerce solutions.

 UltraDev is NOT a replacement to Dreamweaver, it's a new standalone
product built on the Dreamweaver core architecture.

UltraDev IS the replacement to Drumbeat.  Macromedia is not planning
to rev Drumbeat.

UltraDev is expected to ship in June.

What is the difference between Dreamweaver and UltraDev?
Dreamweaver is a visual design solution for creating HTML web sites.
While Dreamweaver is open to integrating with leading web application
servers, it is not engineered for visually creating web applications.
UltraDev was built specifically for creating dynamic Web applications
using technologies like ASP, JSP, and CFML.

What is the price of UltraDev?
Macromedia has not yet announced pricing for UltraDev. However, it
will be priced competitively with other Web application development
environments.

I am a Macromedia customer and I currently develop Web applications.
Will I be able to purchase UltraDev for a special price?
Yes, but you must register your Macromedia product to qualify for any
special offer.

Is UltraDev an add-on to Dreamweaver?
No, it is a new stand-alone product that is designed to meet the
specific needs of Web application developers.

Does UltraDev replace Drumbeat?
Yes. When UltraDev ships it will replace Drumbeat as Macromedia's
solution for Web application development.

Will there be an upgrade path from Drumbeat to UltraDev?
Yes, registered users of Drumbeat will be offered an upgrade at a very
competitive price.

Will you continue to support Drumbeat?
Yes, we will continue to provide Drumbeat technical support through
the end of the year.

Does this mean you won't be updating Drumbeat?
Correct, UltraDev replaces Drumbeat as the Macromedia solution for
creating Web applications.

Will there be an e-commerce edition of UltraDev?
The core product will not include any e-commerce specific features,
but through the power of extensibility and our network of developers,
you will be able to easily download extensions for creating e-commerce
applications.

Will I be able to open and edit my Drumbeat sites in UltraDev?
Yes, UltraDev reads and writes ASP, JSP, and CFML. The published pages
of your Drumbeat sites can be opened and edited. However UltraDev will
not open .edf files.

Will my Dreamweaver sites work in UltraDev?
Dreamweaver's native file format is HTML. UltraDev reads, recognizes
and parses HTML, so there won't be any problems opening files built in
Dreamweaver or any other application like Cold Fusion Studio,
FrontPage, and HomeSite.

When will UltraDev be available?
UltraDev is expected to be available in June 2000.

I just bought Drumbeat, do I qualify for a free upgrade to UltraDev?
Customers who buy Drumbeat after April 5, 2000 qualify for a free
upgrade to UltraDev when it becomes available.

Will UltraDev be available in languages other than English?
Yes, the first release of UltraDev will be available in French and
German. Japanese, Spanish, Italian, Swedish and Portuguese will be
available in the second release of UltraDev.

What platforms will UltraDev support?
When UltraDev ships, it will be simultaneously available for Mac OS
8.6 or greater and Windows 95, 98, NT, and 2000.

What servers will UltraDev support?
Any ASP 2.0, Cold Fusion or JSP 1.0 server including Microsoft IIS,
Allaire Cold Fusion, IBM Websphere, BEA WebLogic, and Netscape
Enterprise Server.

What databases will UltraDev support?
ODBC, JDBC, or ADO relational databases including Oracle,
Sybase, Informix, Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft Access.

Is there training available for UltaDev?
When UltraDev ships, Macromedia will provide tutorials, online
documentation and training videos. Online training, books

Please visit http://www.macromedia.com/software/ultradev and sign up
to receive additional information once it becomes available.