I asked a similar question before and I was told that it is quicker to write
out all the field names instead of using the *.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michel Gagnon [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2000 12:33 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: To wildcard or not to wildcard (the SELECT statement)

When we query with a star (*) in the SELECT statement,
does MS-Access return all the fields, even if they are empty?

I have over 50 fields in a perticuar table, but some pages only
use 3 or 4 of them.  The rest are empty.

For performances sake, am I better off using:

<CFQUERY DATASOURCE="CSM" NAME="Data">
     SELECT a1,a2,a3
     FROM test
</cfquery>