CF variables are supposed to be typeless, but then there is the
ParseDateTime() function in Cold Fusion which returns a date object from
a string.

Are there instances where certain functions require a bonafide date
"object"?

The reason I ask is that Oracle always has returned its dates as strings
to Cold Fusion.  If I want to get a full date/time, I have to do a
to_char(col_name,'MM-DD-YYYY HH24:MI:SS') in my select statement.
Either just the date or the whole date & time, it's still a string and
CF stores it that way unless you do a ParseDateTime() on it.

In any date function I've used, it doesn't seem to matter whether
ParseDateTime() is used or not around the Oracle dates...  So -- why is
the function there in the first place?  Am I missing something?

Thanks,
-R