I would assume that it would depend on your server settings.  I would think
that once the page is turned into pcode, that the comments would all be
stripped out, and it would be the same as a non-commented file.

I'd try doing your tests again, but make sure you have some template cache
avail on the server, and you might even test it with trusted cache on or
off, and see if that makes any difference.

-Cameron

Cameron Childress
McRae Communications
770.460.7277 x.232