> I have large amounts of text data. Which is a theoretically preferred way
of
> making it available on my site: Verity or put individual articles into a
> database (memo or varchar). Search by full text as well as by categories
and
> keywords is important.

There are three ways I have used for this problem:

First, If you have lots of money, an Oracle DB with the articles stored in
LONG fields can be indexed with the Oracle Context Cartridge. This is a lot
better than Verity, but costs ($25K).

SQL Server may have a similar function, I don't know.

Secondly, you can store the articles in any DB with a Long (Memo) field, and
then use Verity to index them directly from the database.

Thirdly, you can store the articles as files, index them with Verity, and
store categories and keywords in a database.

The first method allows you to secure various documents, etc...and once you
get it working, it can be the most flexible in terms of searching. But it is
a pain to set up.

The second method is not recommended for Access databases, because the
amount of data is just way to big. But you don't have to worry about keeping
a database in sync with flat files.

The third method is best if you don't want to secure some of the documents,
or if you only have an Access database available to you.

--
+ Benjamin Smedberg