Exactly my points from the get go. I asked the questions that I did to show
that we were both saying essentially the same thing. I should have been
clearer when I said that CF would incur an unacceptable amount of overhead.
I took it to be understood that the alternatives, 3DES, 128-bit, etc., would
carry with them an increased CPU/memory utilization that would not be
acceptable in a high volume environment without purchasing costly equipment.

Reading the source of the cfdecrypt utility makes it very clear how the
header is used.

>CF uses DES all the time. ... There is no need to determine the algorithm.
>1 - Triple DES is not used because it is CPU intensive
>2 - 56 bit encryption is the limit due to export restrictions

> > CF uses DES for encryption. This is used because it has good performance
> > while maintaining decent encryption. The "cracker" as you put it simply
> > decrypts DES. If Allaire were to change the encryption algorithm
> > templates encrypted by the previous algorithm would no longer work
unless the
> > system first interrogated the file to discover it's encryption method.

Regards,

Steve