How can I browse to a directory and pass that up to the server in a form?

My boss wants to allow my users to use a form field to select a download
directory that is passed back to the server.  The reason for this is that we
want to use Cold Fusion to store the user's preferences that are client
independant.  If the user uses Netscape or IE to register and then fires up
Opera to actually use the site, I want the download directory to be passed
back to the new client.

Russel Madere, Jr.
Web Developer

"Be good and you will be lonesome.
 Be lonesome and you will be free.
 Live a lie and you will live to regret it."
                          Jimmy Buffett
                          That's What Living Is To Me