I agree with regards to the million different types of MSCE MCP CCSE MCetc
(too many out there to discern) but you have to be able to pass a test for a
given field, so yes this person must have at least looked at something. I
think you should take it with a grain of salt, ie:

Certification... Basic experience and intro to the subject matter
BS... Four years theory and some hands on the subject matter
MS... Advanced Mastery of the subject matter
PhD... Supreme Mastery of said subject matter...

Certificates are to differentiate the people who dont have any background at
all from the people who have basic knowledge...
I mean, two people come to your interview. One without a certificate, and
one with a certificate. Granted a small percentage of people are self-taught
and very very good at it, but a large percentage are also dolts applying for
a higher paying job.

Plus you have to remember the higher degree/more experience you bring in,
the more dollars you will be shelling out, and some employers may not need a
PhD or MS for their (small) projects or basic web/system design, etc. A
certificate is perfect for redundant work which needs a background in your
platform of specialty.

Now Yahoo isn't the greatest authority on education but certificates from
good schools and/or good companies are very valid (ie Oracle, Sun, Cisco
trained people).