Like we both say, a pain. Here is another alternative:

It sounds like you can (slightly) change the format of the clients
spreadsheet "database". (If not create another sheet that will have this
following
column in it and link the client spreadsheet to that one)

If so, I would propose this:

Create a "hidden" column, that will not show to the client, but will
exist to the Excel ODBC connector.

format that column to be (related to the telephone col in question)
="T" & CellReferenceToColumnCausingProblems

This will force a text column and once you aquire the column in CF, strip
off the leading "T" (or whatever you choose to use) and start replacing
your hair...

Let me know if this helps...

Steve

--