I ran into exactly this problem a year or two ago.
The easiest solution I found was to rename the "region"
variable to something else.

Alternatively, you could put region as the first item
in your query string -- ie. somefile.cfm?region=xyz&otherparam=q,
etc.

Leave it to Microsoft to make it so the escaped HTML entities
are essentially reserved words. Pretty pathetic.