I agree with Larry that you can't always get to a collection the way you
want to.  My solution was to wrap the com object in a VB com object.  Then
set the Get properties of the VB com object with the variables you read from
the collection.  This may not solve every problem you can come up with, but
it worked for me.

My CF code looked like this when reading a collection.

<!--- Create XMLRead object.  Registry key listed below --->
<!--- XMLRead.ClsOpenXML --->
<CFOBJECT
        TYPE="COM"
        ACTION="CREATE"
        NAME="oXML"
        CLASS="XMLRead.ClsOpenXML">

<!--- Pass the complete path to the XML file to be opened --->
<CFSET oXML.ReadXML ("D:\1234.xml")>

<!--- Using Object.Property set local variables for loan acceptance --->
<CFSCRIPT>
        Variables.APR = oXML.APR;
        Variables.CAID = oXML.CAID;
        Variables.Loan_Amount = oXML.Loan_Amount;
        Variables.Monthly_Payment = oXML.Monthly_Payment;
        Variables.Notes = oXML.Notes;
        Variables.Response = oXML.Response;
        Variables.Term = oXML.Term;
</CFSCRIPT>