From: paul smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2000 4:28 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Session vars in a clustered environment

WDDX is an alternative to "Sticky Sessions"

The idea is to pass a WDDX packet back and
and forth in each page request.  This allows
pages displayed to a given user to be from
different web servers. Perhaps we can call
this "non-Sticky Sessions"  for short, or,
"Sessions_That_Aren't_Sticky_But_They_Maintain_State_Anyway"

This probably requires JS to enable each
link/page request to act as a form submit
and pass the WDDX packet as a hidden variable
back to the server.  I'd be interested if
anyone comes up with an alternative.

best,  paul

At 05:46 PM 5/16/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Howard,
>
>I've never used session vars in a clustered server setup, but I've read a
>lot about doing it, so here goes nothing :-)
> >

> > I've never worked with session variables on clustered servers.  I read
> > somewhere ... and can't remember where ... that I might have a problem
>here.
>
>You can setup the clustering server to use Sticky Sessions - though, this
>isn't a truely load balanced solution.  Using load balancing, the idea is
>that the load will be distributed over all the servers in the cluster.
With
>sticky sessions, that happens only to a certain extent - once a user is
>assigned to a server, the user stays on the server, regardless of the load
>so that the session vars are preserved.

the body.