Whoa! That's a rather complete answer... ;)

Although I would warn that some of the "cryptographically strong" schemes have
been shown to have some weak keys, i.e. I think IDEA has some weak keys. From
what I'm aware, RC5 with 16 rounds does not (so I'm a fan).

As far as stream ciphers go, could you just use a block cipher with an 8 bit
block size, and some form of cipher block chaining as a stream cipher? I realise
8 bit sounds a bit (ok, a lot) low, but CBC does help. Maybe the stream could
start with a random word (you know, like Unix salting).

David