Hi all,

I have a colleague who is looking advice for implementing ClusterCats whilst
behind a proxy server. They have no problems getting the failover to work,
but what happens is that the failover resolves to an internal IP which is
(obviously) inaccessible to the public users.

Quote from colleague
As described previously we are using two Enterprise servers, in a standard
primary/secondary configuration. If the primary fails then the secondary
will take over processing.

Can you give me an indication if you help us with the following

1) I want to be able to connect a client to the server through a proxy
server.
2) Then I want to "crash" the primary so that the secondary will take
over processing
3) The secondary will proceed to server live pages as normal

We have tried it over here, but we run into problems of DNS names. The live
customers site is worldwide so we were going to use IP address to connect to
the system. I know this is not the best solution but I'm open to another
other ideas, which do not entail a re-configuration of the network. When we
connect to the primary with an IP - no problems, however on failure, we do
get rolled over to the secondary but because the client is given a DNS name
it can't resolve it so it fails.
MY colleague is also running SQL server database, so I have suggested that
he simply move the two web servers to the public side of the proxy and
maintain the db connection through the proxy via dedicated switch, hence
protecting the data, which in essence is pretty much all that needs
protecting.

Does anyone have any better ideas for this?

TIA

Dave

Dave Wilson
Internet Technology Manager,