Well I have been meaning to put together my site customization scheme. I've
been pretty dumb here, I can't seem to grab onto a model that I am happy
with. I make it too complex, and then too simple .... grrrrrr ....

Site customization. I am letting myself get confused between security
elements and customization elements. Or is there a difference? Sometimes I
think so, and sometimes I don't. Today, I don't.

You have a "thing" and you have multiple ways to "view" that thing, and
attributes within each view that could be customized tailored to individual
users.

So how do you go about customizing your site?

Someone goes to your site, a session is created. A guest login is made until
the user initiates the login. (Note: you could store the userID in a cookie,
and initiate the user login immediately when the user gets to the site.)

The user logs in, and a security profile of the user is saved in session
variables.

hmmm....

the session profile would contain the security groups that the user belongs
to. ie( sitenameAdministrators, SitenameUsers )

Each "thing" (there would be a database table of "things" that would hold
permissions granted ??????????) I am a little unclear here, so bear with me
as I talk it out.

"things" can be directories, templates, applications. database records. etc.

ThingID
??ThingType (not sure if needed)
UserorGroup
ThingView
Permission (granted, or denied)

hmmmm. don't like something here .... the spidey senses are a tinglin'.

For each thing, the user may be able to view the thing with no or multiple
views. So conceptually, a precedence of views, or a method of toggling
between the views is important to offer the user.

sorry for the rambling.

thing table is better for database records, but not neccessarily ....
grrrrrr.

Where do you define the security / presentation for an application?

seee I am making this too damn camplicated. grrrrrrr.

again from the top.
A guy logs in, he has a userid, and belongs to usergroups.

These are the building blocks of a secure personalized application!

Userid, and Group Membership are stored in session variables.

Views are defined in the called cfml template, as well as in the called
applications.

Security can be built into the template or application hardcoded or applied
using a database system.

Example:
joey signs into the site.

login establishes a session and creates a usergroup profile.
session.UserorGroups = {user.joey, group.user, group.StoryEditor}

=== index.cfm ===
Menu
<cf_security thingid=345>
   returns list of approved views