I had similar problems. After much frustration I found that somewhere along
the line SQL Server ignores the DBVARNAME parameter, so parameters are
passed in the order they are given. Thus the first CFPROCPARAM is passed as
the first sp parameter, etc, regardless of any DBVARNAME settings. I suspect
that this is where you're getting your numeric value error, too.

e.g.

...in SQL Server...
    CREATE PROCEDURE update
        @p_ref            INT = -1,
        @p_name           VARCHAR(80) = "Name",
        @p_description    VARCHAR(250) = "Description"
    AS
    -- Some useful stuff
    GO

...in CF...
    <CFSTOREDPROC PROCEDURE="update" DATASOURCE=#Application.DataSource#>
         <CFPROCPARAM TYPE="IN" CFSQLTYPE=CF_SQL_INTEGER VALUE=1
DBVARNAME="p_ref">
         <CFPROCPARAM TYPE="IN" CFSQLTYPE=CF_SQL_VARCHAR VALUE="Foo"
DBVARNAME="p_name">
         <CFPROCPARAM TYPE="IN" CFSQLTYPE=CF_SQL_VARCHAR VALUE="Bar"
DBVARNAME="p_description">
    </CFSTOREDPROC>

Works okay (@p_ref => 1, @p_name => "Foo", @p_description =>"Bar")

but

    <CFSTOREDPROC PROCEDURE="update" DATASOURCE=#Application.DataSource#>
         <CFPROCPARAM TYPE="IN" CFSQLTYPE=CF_SQL_VARCHAR VALUE="Foo"
DBVARNAME="p_name">
         <CFPROCPARAM TYPE="IN" CFSQLTYPE=CF_SQL_VARCHAR VALUE="Bar"
DBVARNAME="p_description">
    </CFSTOREDPROC>

Will fail with a cast conversion error! (@p_ref => "Foo", @p_name => "Bar",
@p_description => "Description")

also

    <CFSTOREDPROC PROCEDURE="update" DATASOURCE=#Application.DataSource#>
         <CFPROCPARAM TYPE="IN" CFSQLTYPE=CF_SQL_INTEGER VALUE=1
DBVARNAME="p_ref">
         <CFPROCPARAM TYPE="IN" CFSQLTYPE=CF_SQL_VARCHAR VALUE="Bar"
DBVARNAME="p_description">
         <CFPROCPARAM TYPE="IN" CFSQLTYPE=CF_SQL_VARCHAR VALUE="Foo"
DBVARNAME="p_name">    </CFSTOREDPROC>

Will work, but not behave how you expect (@p_ref => 1, @p_name => "Bar",
@p_description =>"Foo")

The solution is to put the procedure call into it's own file, use CFPARAMs
to set up the defaults and call the stored proc with all the parameters (in
the correct order). Then whenever you want to call the stored proc use
<CFMODULE> to call the file, passing only the parameters you want to set.