From: Philip Arnold - ASP [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2000 9:53 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Frames vs NoFrames

> Third and final,  what is your opinion of frames?  likes
> dislikes? and have
> you found any limitations to using frames.  You can use the application
> browser as an excuse if you can prove that there is more than 5% use of
> other browsers in the business arena.

I'm one of those advocates for "Whatever works best for the site"...

Out of all of our sites, roughly 50-60% have frames, and with our new
technology, that's dropping... only the specifically designed sites which
have special effects on them use frames, and those do it for effect rather
than for real navigation

Check out;
http://www.in-cosmetics.com/ for a tarty effect (that menu line which was
hell to build)
http://www.mgscoachworks.com/ for a specific design ethic

We use frames on our own site (the one we're re-working now) to keep the
middle page exactly the same size - the reason? Background texture.

We've got loads of non-frame sites with differing looks, but it's the
re-laying out of complex pages with tables which slows down non-frame sites.

Limitations on Frames
(some mentioned before) Bookmarks, direct links from outside, javascript
dependance on more complex sites, search engines fail to get into site

Limitations on non-Frames
Slow load for complex pages (with tables in tables in tables etc.),
re-displaying information which stays static (menus etc.), broken table
structures which break Netscape (it's very particular)

IMHO, specific information loads quicker on a Frame site, but it does mess
some things up.

Just a few thoughts.

Philip Arnold
ASP Multimedia Limited
T: +44 (0)20 8680 1133

"Websites for the real world"

the system manager.
the body.

------_=_NextPart_001_01BFCB20.00811A70

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>CFParam and radiobutton array validation</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>If anyone has experience with CFPARAM and/or radio =
button arrays please take a look at the interactive quiz I developed =
with CF.&nbsp; I need a way to validate the radio button arrays and I =
am stumped.&nbsp; Right now I am using the CFPARAM tag to set a default =
value for each array in case someone skips a question, but I would =
rather prompt them to go back and complete the missed =
question.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Please goto <A =
HREF=3D"http://www.natsem.com/quizpage1.cfm" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.natsem.com/quizpage1.cfm</A></FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thank you for your assistance</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Troy M. Wussow</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Web Developer - MIS</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>National Seminars Group</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>[EMAIL PROTECTED]</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: Philip Arnold - ASP [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>]</FONT>=

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2000 9:53 AM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Subject: RE: Frames vs NoFrames</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Third and final,&nbsp; what is your opinion of =
frames?&nbsp; likes</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; dislikes? and have</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; you found any limitations to using =
frames.&nbsp; You can use the application</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; browser as an excuse if you can prove that =
there is more than 5% use of</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; other browsers in the business arena.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I'm one of those advocates for &quot;Whatever works =
best for the site&quot;...</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Out of all of our sites, roughly 50-60% have frames, =
and with our new</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>technology, that's dropping... only the specifically =
designed sites which</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>have special effects on them use frames, and those =
do it for effect rather</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>than for real navigation</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Check out;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2><A HREF=3D"http://www.in-cosmetics.com/" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.in-cosmetics.com/</A> for a tarty effect =
(that menu line which was</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>hell to build)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2><A HREF=3D"http://www.mgscoachworks.com/" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.mgscoachworks.com/</A> for a specific =
design ethic</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>We use frames on our own site (the one we're =
re-working now) to keep the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>middle page exactly the same size - the reason? =
Background texture.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>We've got loads of non-frame sites with differing =
looks, but it's the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>re-laying out of complex pages with tables which =
slows down non-frame sites.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Limitations on Frames</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>(some mentioned before) Bookmarks, direct links from =
outside, javascript</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>dependance on more complex sites, search engines =
fail to get into site</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Limitations on non-Frames</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Slow load for complex pages (with tables in tables =
in tables etc.),</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>re-displaying information which stays static (menus =
etc.), broken table</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>structures which break Netscape (it's very =
particular)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>IMHO, specific information loads quicker on a Frame =
site, but it does mess</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>some things up.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Just a few thoughts.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Philip Arnold</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>ASP Multimedia Limited</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>T: +44 (0)20 8680 1133</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&quot;Websites for the real world&quot;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT =
SIZE=3D2>***************************************************************=
*******</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>This email and any files transmitted with it are =
confidential and</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>intended solely for the use of the individual or =
entity to whom they</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>are addressed. If you have received this email in =
error please notify</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>the system manager.</FONT>
<BR><FONT =
SIZE=3D2>***************************************************************=
*******</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT =
sts/cf_talk" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.houseoffusion.com/index.cfm?sidebar=3Dlists=
&body=3Dlists/cf_talk</A> or send a message to =
[EMAIL PROTECTED] with 'unsubscribe' in the =
body.</FONT></P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01BFCB20.00811A70--