If you are creating the directory based on some kind of form input, you need
to trim it. This is particularly troublesome when you are using multipart
forms. Here is some code I used recently to do just that and it works fine
on a Mac:

<cfdirectory action="create"
directory="#request.fileroot##trim(form.emailusername)#">

Chris Latko, Technology Group
Ashley Associates