One final question...do you have any code examples for invoking the cfc?
Since load, writeResult and thumbnail are distinct methods, it appeared
that you had to cfinvoke each one individually. This obviously didn't
work.

So I rewrote the component to this:
<cffunction access="public" name="testMine">
  <cfargument name="initfilename" type="string" required="true">
  <cfargument name="edgeLength" type="numeric" required="true">
  <cfargument name="endfilename" type="string" required="true">
  <cfargument name="type" type="string" required="true">
  <!--- load the image --->
  <cfscript>
        iu.load(arguments.initfilename);
        loaded = true;
  </cfscript>
  <!--- resize the image --->
  <cfif loaded>
        <cfscript>
          iu.thumbnail(arguments.edgeLength);
          result = true;
        </cfscript>
  </cfif>
  <!--- write out the result --->
  <cfif result>
        <cfscript>
          if(result)
                iu.writeResult(arguments.endfilename, arguments.type);
        </cfscript>
  </cfif>
</cffunction>

And then invoked it like so:
<cfinvoke
 component="CFM_Tests.ImageUtils"
 method="testMine">
        <cfinvokeargument name="initfilename"
value="C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\CFM_Tests\images\mono.jpg"/>
        <cfinvokeargument name="edgeLength" value="250"/>
        <cfinvokeargument name="endfilename"
value="C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\CFM_Tests\images\monoTH.jpg"/>
        <cfinvokeargument name="type" value="JPEG"/>
</cfinvoke>

This worked fine but there must be a better way to do this - similar to
the way you wrote the component??

Chris