> The only security gained by placing the includes and so forth in an
> inaccessible directory, really, is protection against source
> code browsing exploits - and a simple application of permissions
> can be used to prevent this anyway.

Well, I don't agree totally....

I include all of my fuses from a directory that is not accessible to the web
server.  For example, if my web root is c:\inetpub\wwwroot, I'll keep my
fuses in c:\inetpub\fuses.  Then my c:\inetpub\wwwroot only has the
index.cfm, an empty application.cfm and an empty onrequestend.cfm.  This
forces all access to the fuses to go through the index.cfm fusebox.  I
separate the fuses mainly to prevent users from guessing fuse locations and
invoking them directly, which I think provides a measure of added security.
In a non-Fusebox app, users can attempt to execute arbitrary templates by
just calling them directly.  Using my fusebox method, I can at least force
them to go through the index.cfm where I have a single location to enforce
restrictions and perform validation.

This is minor, I guess, but modularity and ease of coding should also
decrease the likelihood that you will miss a security flaw in your code...

For what it's worth,
Chris Lofback
Sr. Web Developer

TRX Integration