My person feeling is there's a lot lacking from CFFORM's js. Although
you can customize the code, it's still fairly inflexible. Check out
qForms:

http://www.pengoworks.com/qforms/

I started writing the API a few years ago to overcome some of the issues
I had w/CFFORM's JS implementation. It's a lot more expandable and has
built in methods for doing just about everything you'll need to do. (And
if there's something missing it's *very* easy to add the functionality.)

To my knowledge there's not another JavaScript-based form API that's
even half as complete or flexible.

-Dan