thank you, but have already done this.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jocelyn Isidro [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2002 10:12 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: access db

Here is what my host, www.HostMySite.com, recommends to unlock an Access db.
(I have not tried this).

"FAQ: How to Overwrite an Existing Database

I would like to upload an updated version of my access database. When I
attempt to overwrite the existing database I am unable to.

As a normal part of ODBC operation, your database file is locked by the ODBC
connection. There is a trick you can use to unlock the database temporarily.
You can write a page to query a non-existent column in an existing table in
your database. This will temporarily unlock the database so that you can
overwrite the file. Since the file will be re-locked quickly, especially if
other pages are accessing the database, it is best to rename or delete the
old database before uploading the new one. As soon as you upload the new
database and run a good query, normal ODBC operation will resume.

There are a few things you can do to maximize the success of the unlock
page:

1. Make sure that no other pages are executing queries on the database. If a
valid query is run right after your invalid query, the database will be
locked again.

2. Since the database can be re-locked quickly, rename the .mdb file as soon
as you run the invalid query. Then you can upload the new database and not
worry about it locking again before you have a chance.

3. This trick often requires some patience - if it doesn't work at first,
try it again a few times. Also, you may want to wait a few minutes and then
try. You may want to rename, disable, or move any pages that query the
database to prevent them from re-locking it.

4. If all else fails, upload another copy of the database with a different
name. Email [EMAIL PROTECTED] and we will adjust the DSN."

Hope this helps.

JMI & Associates
P.O. Box 162327
Sacramento, CA  95816