> > In Oracle, the order with which you
> > reference tables and make comparisons in the WHERE clause has
> > a significant impact on performance.
>
>I had heard that Oracle reads WHERE clauses from the bottom up and that
>clauses that exclude the most records should go last.  But when I asked
>about this on an Oracle list, I was told that WHERE clause order is no
>longer relevant as of Oracle 8.  Has anyone tested this to verify effect on
>query performance?  If so, what guidelines do you use?

You heard correctly from the Oracle list. Starting with the Oracle 8 family,
the SQL parsing engine was optimized so that it now doesn't care what order
you put the WHERE/AND statements in. It parses and determines what order to
use on its own.

I have tested between Oracle 7 and 8, and can tell you that, in 7, it does
matter (it reads from bottom to top). However in 8, there is no difference
between ordering from top-down or bottom-up. I don't have the test results
on hand, but it's probably irrelevant anyway because the execution times
will vary based on how your particular database is set up (table sizes,
indices, etc.).

Regards,
Dave.