Hi, Janine.  You can do a few things:

1) The quick-and-dirty solution.  Add a <BR> tag just before the </CFOUTPUT>
closing tag:

<TR><TD COLSPAN="3"><CFOUTPUT QUERY="GetCourses">
<INPUT TYPE="Checkbox" NAME="Courses" VALUE="#CourseID#">#CourseName#<BR>
</CFOUTPUT></TD> </TR>

2) Have each with it's own row:

<CFOUTPUT QUERY="GetCourses">
  <TR>
    <TD COLSPAN="3">
      <INPUT TYPE="Checkbox" NAME="Courses" VALUE="#CourseID#">#CourseName#
    </TD>
  <TR>
</CFOUTPUT>

3) You could also break them up into lines.  For example, if you want to
make three columns of checkboxes, but don't know how many you'll have, there
is a way to do it that I had to use in the app I've been working on.  I
won't elaborate unless you really want to do this.

Hope this helps,
Matthieu