Just a guess, but I think these may not be the characters you think they are.

The nomal single quote: chr(39)
The left single quote: chr(145)
The right single quote: chr(146)

The normal double quote: chr(34)
The left double quote: chr(147)
The right double quote: chr(148)

The "fancy" or "smart quotes" will not render properly in many instances, and in many
fonts.

You might think about replacing them with there generic counterparts, or making sure
you are rendering the text in a Unicode/DCBS enabled browser.

If you are mailing the text as plaintext, you will need to use the text-safe
characters, rather than the extended fancy versions.

Jerry Johnson

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 08/20/02 01:55PM >>>
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here, so I apologize in advance if my question is
not formed properly.

I have an online enrollment built in CFMX and supported with MSSQL2k
database. Its fairly simple set of pages that allows our customers to
register their contact information, signup for subscriptions and agree
to a dynamic generated user agreement.

Everything works, but I have a couple of annoying things happening.
Within the user agreement pages I pull text out of the database and then
process an acceptance of the agreement by CFMAILing them the agreement.
In areas of the agreement where a word is either double quoted or single
quoted the screen and emails have either square boxes and/or question
marks appear in place of the quotes.

I have verified that the database fields do have single and double
quotes. Furthermore, the fields in MSSQL2k have a data type of Text with
a length of 16 and allowing Nulls.

For reference and briefly the process of the enrollment is handled as
follows:
1. New enrollee begins the process by becoming authenticated with a
enrollment code given to them previously.
2. The new enrollee is asked to complete an initial contact information
form. At this point their information is stored in a table that is
viewed as having temporary information, later to be moved after
completion of the enrollment.
3. Next the enrollee chooses from a set of available services they wish
to subscribe to.  All info is pulled from the database. Updates to the
temp table are made when they click on submit.
4. Next they review their selection and cost totals, with an option to
edit.
5. Next they see their user agreement. At this point based on their
services selection different text will appears.
6. At this point they can accept or decline the whole registration. If
they accept then a set of emails is sent to us and the new enrollee.
Also when they accept the temp data is moved from the temp tables and
put into an enrollee table and the temp data is deleted.

In every database step that involves the agreement text the quotes and
single quotes appear to be ok and passed along without problems. Its
just when the info is seen onscreen or in the emails that the characters
are changed.

What do I have to do to correct this annoyance. Thank you in advance for
your help.

Best Regards,
Ali Daniali
Transact Communication, Inc.