Did anyone reply to you about this? I have been plagued by it for a long
time. In the end all I could do was make a script that sends an email to the
ISP requesting a CFServer restart ASAP everytime the error occurs.

Happens on a server hosted at what I think is a pretty decent ISP. I have
been given two explanations by them over the years (almost verbatim):
Pre-CF5 explanation: "It's a known Verity bug"
Post CF5 explanation: "Unfortunately CF is not very stable in shared
environment and unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it except to
restart it when it crashes. There is no way to make CF servers more reliable
then they are now. At least none of our experiments with CF allowed us to
improve reliability considerably. The main problem is that all customers'
scripts are running in a single process and a single customer with faulty
scripts can keep shutting down the server. Moving the customer from server
to server will not help as this problem is exhibited by all CF servers."

I don't think the second explanation is correct for this problem, I still
tend to favor the bug theory. Restarting CFServer certainly does temporarily
fix the Verity issue, but CFServer is running fine in every other respect
when the error occurs.

Just in case you ask
 - all the variables that need to be are locked.
 - I have followed the advice in CF5 Study Guide
 - the indexes are regularly maintained.
 - I have more than one collection

What language(s) are used in your data?

Sue McNab