From: Sean A Corfield [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 1:21 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: CF vs. ASP

On Tuesday, August 27, 2002, at 09:11 , Matthew R. Small wrote:
> Intranets are one thing I can think of.  I have an intranet here that
> wrote last year using CF - because I am most experienced at CF.
> However, I believe that had I written it in ASP, I would have not
> encountered the numerous problems and trials that using COM through CF
> gives us.  I have actually written one page in CF that calls an ASP
page
> because ASP does the job quicker and easier.

But COM has nothing to do with Intranet. CF is a great tool for writing
Intranets (we're in the process of converting our legacy ASP-based
Intranet to CF).

I agree that if your web application is heavily dependent on COM then
you
need to think carefully about CF because of issues with COM
(historically
and currently).

If your web application doesn't need COM - and a lot do not - then CF is
very good tool that doesn't need to be restricted to "small-medium sized

sites". After all, we're rewriting macromedia.com using CFMX and we get
about 6m age views a day.

Remember: using the best tool for the tool is not about picking just one

technology and using it for the whole job, it's about picking the right
tool for each part of the job and integrating the whole (with the caveat

that the integration effort may be sufficiently high that the second
best
tool for one job might mean less integration - and therefore be a better

choice). CFMX is very good at integration - lots of high-level tags to
access other systems as well as Java integration - so the "price" of
using
using CF is low from an integration p.o.v.

Sean A Corfield -- http://www.corfield.org/blog/

-- Margaret Atwood